Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Displaying keepsakes

The family went over to clean out my Grandmother's apartment yesterday. It was a weird feeling going through her closets and drawers. She had so many neat treasures and was very tidy. Makes me want to keep up my closets for when my family has to come over and clean out my stuff. :-o I came home with so many neat and special things, and I was left with wondering how to display these keepsakes. While going through a bag of scrap material, I came across some pieces of a quilt that she had started, and never got around to finishing. I thought about it for a bit, and came up with a great idea! At least I think it turned out pretty nice.

I found these big frames in the school room...
And this huge roll of fabric,
 that I bought to make a shower curtain and matching valances for my bathroom.

 Remember, I don't know how to sew. I am not sure how I thought I was going to accomplish those tasks...so I decided to use it elsewhere to take the pressure off of having to learn how to sew right now.



I also came home with an old picture frame, and a box of her recipes. I put the two together for a neat way to remember some of her favorite dishes. (I found her recipe card for her cranberry salad too!!!)
There was a bedroom suit that no one else in the family wanted, so I was able to bring it home and give it a new owner. Grandmom had given Princess #1 a bed a few years back, so princess #2 was going to get to be the proud new owner.

So many memories are brought back to my mind through looking at all of her stuff that she collected through the years. I am so happy to be able to share some stories with my girls about my Grandmother, and I am very thankful that our house gets to hold some of her treasures. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment