Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

A letter to you, Grandmom....

Dear Grandmom,

We laid you to rest yesterday, April 7, 2011. It was a beautiful sunny day, and I couldn't help but think how much you would have enjoyed the weather. The service was as beautiful as you were, in your mint green dress. It was a bittersweet day for us all. I hated to see that chapter end in our lives where you were here with us, but I knew it was your time to go. To be with Jesus and Granddad. I wonder what it is like for you right now. Are you and Granddad catching up on old times? Or was he able to look down from up above and see? Is he just as smiley as he always was? Do you remember us now? I have to say that has been one of the hardest parts for me, you not knowing who I was. I so wanted to really be able to say goodbye to you, and you to know who it was that was saying it. It was hard watching your body fail you, along with your mind. Yes. You are way better off now. We will remember you for how you used to be....

 I will remember how excited we were when you and Granddad moved home to WV, after being in Florida for so many years. I will remember the time Kevin and I were able to stay the night with you guys in your new apartment. Granddad was sitting at the table drinking coffee out of a clear coffee mug, which I thought was so cool, and you were frying eggs at the stove. I showed disgust when Granddad plopped a big spoonful of jelly on top of his fried egg, but secretly knew I was going to try that as soon as I got home. :-) I did, and it was pretty yummy! I remember how excited you were for me when we moved out to our property and got chickens. You found a basket and sewed a little pillow in the bottom that we could use for collecting eggs. We loved the basket. So did the the new puppy, for she chewed it completely up. :-( I remember how you would always make cranberry salad for the fall and winter celebrations. You knew how much I loved it and would always insist I take enough home for "later." It never lasted too long though, for I would eat it all the same day. Deviled eggs were a specialty of yours as well, and reunions were not complete without your dish of those. You loved to show me what was blooming in your little garden. I still have some of the plants that you gave me starts for out of that little garden. The phlox is just about ready to bloom now, and the hostas are poking their heads up through the wet soppy ground. Did I ever thank you for all of those plants? I can't remember.....Did I ever tell you how much I loved you....I can't remember. I hope I showed you though, but I fear I let my busy schedule get in the way of that. I'm sorry I wasn't there more for you, I really am.

There was a beautiful display of flowers on your casket Grandmom, and after the service we all took some home  for drying, and to keep to remember this day. I don't think I will need a dried flower to remember, but I am thankful to have it. We decided to dry some of the roses and then put the rest on my writing desk. They look and smell so wonderful.
I have been trying to remind myself that your story has not ended. It is just beginning....Love you now and always!

1 comment:

  1. I just got around to reading this (and the post of frames holding special pieces of fabric that she had sewn. I always love reading your pieces and being part of your lift. Grandmom was a special lady and loved all of her grandchildren so much. I am sure each of you have different memories of what a great family you have been born into.

    ReplyDelete