Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

Snack time

Snack time is one of the "things" that I know will happen everyday. Not just once, but three times. The princesses' tummies are like clock work, and everyday at 10:00 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., you can bet you are going to hear, "I'm STARVING"...even though they could have just eaten thirty minutes before. I have learned that I can dread this ever persistent chore, which I usually do, or plan/ prepare for it. I have even made it an "activity" at times, that way I can knock out craft time too. ;-)

Apples are yummy, 
but so much yummier if you get to bob for them!
And who wouldn't think that a box/clubhouse would be the perfect spot to color the day away, all the while partaking of much needed nourishment. :-)
Or you could make a boat out of aluminum foil,
 And see how many goldfish you can pile into it before it sinks.
Or how about heading out to the garden
 and seeing what you can find to decorate a left over pancake? (can this be considered art for the day?)
Even though all of those "ideas" were received with applause and gratitude,
one of the most loved snack times...is anything that can not be considered healthy. I got this one covered too! 

HONEY GLAZED SNACK MIX
Printed from COOKS.COM

4 c. Corn Chex or Crispix
1 1/2 c. mini pretzels
1 c. walnuts or pecan halves
1/3 c. butter
1/4 c. honey
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl combine cereal, pretzels and nuts. In saucepan over low heat, melt butter; stir in honey. Pour over cereal mixture; toss to coat. Spread on 15"x10" jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until glazed, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly, spread on waxed paper. Cool completely. Makes 8 cups. Freezes well.

Since I am a cook who believes in using what you have instead of running to store for every little thing, I varied this just a bit. We had fruit loops, organic peanut butter cereal and of course mini marshmallows. I just waited till the mix was cooled just a bit before adding the marshmallows.

I know, I know...it's not healthy. Hey, they had apples the other day. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment