Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Things are going to be heating up around here

I have learned many things on our homestead adventure. Most of them could be summed up "Don't do it this way". Trial and error seems to be the best lesson book for us. One of the main things we have learned...you can never have enough firewood. If you think you have enough, you should probably double it. ;-) We cut firewood this past weekend, in 90+ temperatures, and when we were asked "why we picked the hottest day of the year to do it?" Our answer was "Because we hate being cold". Every year, come March, we run out of firewood. Since we heat our house solely by fire, we end up being cold for at least 2 months out of the year. This year we are hoping we can forgo this uncomfortable side effect from not so great planning.
Sweet Man let me cut up the small stuff for my inside stove. :-) 
He of course took care of the big trees. Would have had an awesome picture of the big stuff, but my camera crapped out on me early in the day. :-(
This has to be one of my favorite chores. I can remember gathering firewood with my Dad when I was a kid. Something so calming and peaceful about it. 
 We chose to cut trees down on the top of the hill, where my parents are building a cabin. The kids enjoyed the day running back and forth between helping us load and stack logs, and helping my Dad mix concrete. 
It was a long, hot, tiring day. 
I can't wait to do it again! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment