Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

What's for dinner Mom?

I get asked that question a lot. Hey Mom, what's for dinner? It seems like a simple enough question, but oh some days it can evoke panic. The kind of panic that makes you just want to go hide in the closet. I mean, didn't I just clean up the lunch dishes!? It's days like that when I realize, not only am I supposed to provide a stable, happy life, where they are educated....I have to feed the little boogers too!

Just when I feel like there is going to be NOTHING for dinner, the heavens open up. The good Lord reminds me of a fast recipe, that I actually have the ingredients for. A recipe that everyone will like, and dare I say, not hide it behind the coffee pot.

Just what is this wonder recipe you ask? Well, it's meatball subs of course!
To get this dish to come out just right, you need the perfect bowl. An heirloom bowl that your Grandmother used. Things just taste better when mixed in one of these. Me, being the youngest grandchild on my father's side, I have very little heirlooms from my Grandmother, so I cherish them.
Isn't it beautiful! I love the stained color, it shows it's history.

Well, then of course you need ingredients. You know, the good kind. We only eat local meat, and the eggs were from the backyard of course. The other ingredients came from Walmart...and there are some days when that is local enough...ya know what I mean?
Garlic....just a little, we aren't trying to scare off vampires here!
2 eggs
1 cup of shredded cheese
Italian seasoning ...just a scosh
salt and pepper to taste (who's taste, I'm not really sure, they just always say that)
2 cups of bread crumbs
Now, I NEVER have bread crumbs in the pantry. Not to worry, find your oldest daughter (or son, I don't have any of those though) and give her a box of Ritz crackers. They make perfect bread crumbs!
Roll them into odd shaped balls (we aren't Martha Stewart here) and fry them in a cup of olive oil. By the way, this is not a low fat dinner. That is probably why no one hid it behind the coffee pot.
Heat up some of that homemade marinara sauce you canned this past summer...what, you mean you didn't do that?? That's cool, Walmart sells that too ya know! Plop those browned balls of goodness on a bun with sauce and cheese. Stick them in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese, and WALAA...you made dinner, and you did't have to hide in the closet pretending that you didn't know anyone was hungry! Good times, Good times. :-)

1 comment: