Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Preserving someone else's harvest

My kitchen has been a heated place lately. No, not because of arguments, but from canning. Lots of canning. I believe there is a misconception out there somewhere, that you have to be able grow what you preserve. At least that is what I always thought. But what about all the great produce that is on sale this time of year? Or the amount of tomatoes our family would have to grow to be able to preserve enough for a whole year? I am on a mission to preserve enough pizza and pasta sauce, salsa, BBQ sauce, ketchup, sloppy Joe sauce and tomato soup to get us through the winter. Now, that adds up to about a gazillion tomatoes. I dream of one day growing enough for all of this, but as of right now, that hasn't happened. This is where a big can comes in. Several of them!
No. It's not organic. No. I won't receive any awards for homesteader of the year, but for a little under $3, I bought 6 pounds of tomatoes. Add that with the canning products I got for sale in the "off season", and it all adds up to a pretty good deal. No additives that are unhealthy. No high fructose corn syrup. Just pure yumminess!
Salsa!
Spaghetti sauce!
Messy kitchen = happy Mom. (well, this time anyway ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment