Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

Well balanced parenting...with the help of blueberry bread

For me one of the biggest challenges in anything, is balance. I tend to go to the extremes on certain things, and then feel that lovely burn out feeling. I have blogged about balancing before between diets, house cleaning etc. But one of the biggest balancing challenges, has to be in my parenting. It is important to balance fun with responsibility. Structured school work with creative outlets. I could go on and on...

As Christians we are supposed to train our children to be missionaries for Christ. No. Not all children will go to some third world country to spread the good news. Some will spread the news in their hometown, at their workplace, or with someone they meet at the grocery store. Princess #1 told us when she was seven, that she felt like God was calling her to actually go...to be a missionary full time. What an awesome thing. She has recently been mentioning it more and more. She found a series of books on my shelf of biographies of famous missionaries, and has read them ALL, in a matter of days. She has expressed the need to "train" for this calling. I am now noticing that I need to not hold her so close, and to let her grow up just a bit. She wants to hold a bible study in our back yard. She wants to buy bibles for children that may not have any. She wants to grow up and be responsible with the life God has given her. I have been praying super hard that the Lord will allow me, to let her do this.

At the same time Princess #1 is wanting a little bit more space, Princess #2 has expressed the complete opposite. As I was tucking her in last night I kissed her on the forehead and casually said, "Oh honey, don't grow up too fast." She broke down in uncontrollable sobbing. When I asked what was wrong she told me how she never wanted to grow up. We had just watched "Returned to Neverland" where Wendy is all grown up and has a family of her own. This little princess said she knew that was how it worked, but she always wanted to be my little girl, living in my house. I started crying right along with her,  for I could tell that she was in a phase that she needed me to hold her just a wee bit closer than normal. She needed to just be mommy's girl for a little while longer.

I continue to pray for wisdom in my parenting, for if it was up to me,  we would always be snuggled on the couch reading fairy tales. I don't know how to raise a missionary. I don't know to express that age doesn't mean you stop being a daughter. I don't know how to give each child exactly what they need. But I do know how to make blueberry bread, so that is where I will start!


Ingredients



  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup honey
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries (we used more since we have plenty right now)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix all of that goodness together and throw it in a pan. Mark it with a B for baby and me. Wait. That's not right...Oh yeah, bake it in a loaf pan at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Slather it with organic butter and serve with a smile. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment